Tuesday, April 22, 2014

1st Annual Spring Fling kick-off: Author Interview with Lee Strauss

Due to the flu running rampage through my house over the weekend and my 15 month old now catching it, Spring Fling is a day late. No worries though, there is still lots of fun to be had!

What is Spring Fling? Bottles & Books 1st Annual Spring Fling is a week long event featuring a different author daily on the blog with author interviews and guest blogs along with some awesome giveaways. On Sunday, April 27th, we will move the party over to Facebook where authors will be taking over all day to bring some fun & games your way! You can join the fun HERE: https://www.facebook.com/events/1434315103476654/?ref=ts&fref=ts

& now without further ado....A big welcome to LEE STRAUSS, our first author of Spring Fling.



B&BR: Hi Lee! Thank you for joining us in kicking off Spring Fling week at Bottles & Books Reviews. Can you tell the readers a little bit about yourself?
LS: I'm the author of the Minstrel Series (contemporary romance), the Perception Series (young adult dystopian) and young adult historical fiction. I also write younger YA fantasy as Elle Strauss.  I'm a married mother of four; I sometimes live in Canada and sometimes Germany; I'm fond of dark chocolate, and soy lattes; I like yoga, cycling and hiking in good weather.

B&BR: What have you written up to date?
LS:As Elle Strauss I've written The Clockwise series (YA time travel), Seaweed (Merfolk) and Love, Tink (Tinkerbell adaptation). As Lee Strauss I've written The Perception Series YA dystopian) The Minstrel Series (Contemporary Romance) Playing with Matches (WW2), Jars of Clay (Ancient Rome) and East of Eden (Contemporary Romance)

B&BR: Your newest series, The Minstrel Series, is based around the lives of musicians and include original music written for the books. What was your inspiration for this series?
LS: One day my musician husband and I just randomly started talking about the idea of working on a project together - wouldn't it be great if we could collaborate and merge our two artistic worlds? Writing and Music? That was the seed that started the muse talking, and soon afterward The Minstrel Series was born!
B&BR: What are the top five books that affected you in some way? 
LS: The Bible, Pride & Prejudice, The Dwelling Place by Catherine Cookson, A is for Alibi by Sue Grafton, The Cay by Theodore Taylor

B&BR: When did you decide you wanted to be a writer? Why?
LS: You could say I was a late bloomer. I didn't start writing until after my four children were born. It started as a way for me to express my creativity with something my kids couldn't get into :)

B&BR: Do you write daily? Do you stick to a writing schedule?
LS: I work 6 days a week on publishing. A lot of that time is for writing, but it flexes with what the needs of the day are.

B&BR: Do you have a special spot where you like to do your writing? 
LS: I usually write in a comfortable chair with my feet up.

B&BR: If you weren't a writer what do you think you would be doing?
LS: I don't know. I hope I don't have to answer that question. :)

B&BR: When reading, do you prefer ebooks, paperback books or hardback books?
LS: I love my kindle fire, so ebooks!

B&BR: Are you currently reading anything? If so, what?
LS: I'm ALWAYS reading. At the moment I'm reading A Song for Julia by Charles Sheehan-Miles

B&BR: What advice would you give an inspiring author?
LS: Learn the business, because that's what it is. If you plan to sell your work, then you are a small business person.

B&BR: If you could tell the you of 15 years ago anything, what would it be?
LS: Believe in yourself. Don't let the publishing industry get in your way.

B&BR: Where can readers find out more about you and your work?

FAVORITES:
Favorite book: Pride & Prejudice
Favorite movie: Pride & Prejudice (hello?)
Favorite color: red
Favorite food: Italian
Favorite drink: soy latte
Favorite animal: cat

B&BR: Thank you so much for answering some questions for us readers today, Lee! 

*GIVEAWAY*
Lee Strauss is currently reading A Song for Julia by Charles Sheehan-Miles. To win a e-copy of Lee's book, Flesh & Bone, comment here with a big thank you to Lee & tell us what you are currently reading along with your email address. If you do not want to leave your email address, you can message it to me at BottlesAndBooksReviews@aol.com. Winner will be chosen by Random on Monday.

3 comments:

  1. Lee thank you so very much. I am reading Taboo 1 Thomas Duder shihtzushappens@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lee Strauss!!!!! I am currently reading Catherine Wolffe's Casey's Gunslinger theresacarle@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Lee! :) I am currently reading Tempting Rowan by Micalea Smeltzer.

    beccaliberty@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete